Importance of replacing.
- Posted on Jan 9, 2019
Over the years outlets tend to burn but if the outlets are burning to often it can mean a few things that can cause major problems! Here’s a little bit of information about outlets that you need to know.
- A common problem with receptacles is loose wiring on the terminals of the receptacle. A loose wire will also make for a bad connection and cause an unusual amount of heat buildup. Loose connections can also cause sparking in the junction box that can cause an outlet to stop working. You’ll likely see burn marks around the terminals if this happens. This is a likely electrical fire in the works if not corrected immediately. Do not put your family in that kind of danger electrical fires are extremely dangerous.
- Worn out receptacles over time begin to wear and loosen their gripping power that holds cords in tightly. This builds the resistance and causes heat. The heat will cause problems in the wiring and likely lead to a circuit breaker tripping or a fuse blowing. As a safety measure, replace worn out receptacles and those with cracks or burned marks.
Be sure that whatever type of receptacle you buy to replace an old or defect one it should always be the same size rating or larger to handle the load that will be attached to it. Things like over load circuits can weaken and damage receptacles and this can lead to electrical fires. If you haven’t checked your receptacles you should contact your local electrician before they cause severe damage to you or your home.
- Receptacles are made of plastic and are susceptible to breakage and cracking. These receptacles might be safety hazard and should be replaced. You should be especially careful when using aluminum wire for electrical connections. The life of your receptacles often depends on the amount of use they receive and the quality of the receptacles.
- Back stabbing wiring is the number one problem that we commonly find. The wiring is pushed into a connector that grabs the wire inside the device. This creates a loose connection, and loose connections cause the wires in outlets to burn up and kill the rest of the circuit.
- Another reason why your outlet may not work is due to moisture. this is why GFCI are required in areas of the home where water commonly used, such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundries, wet bars, outdoor spas ETC. If your outlet has become damp, flip the corresponding breaker and consult an electrician immediately.