Is it time to upgrade my electrical panel ?
- Posted on Dec 6, 2018
Sometimes we get extremely caught up with work and our family’s that we tend to forget what goes on around the house. If your house is more than 20-30 year’s old you may need an upgrade.
Here are a few signs that might need to upgrade your panel:
- If your electrical panel gives off a burning smell, this could indicate that there is a bad circuit breaker or that a wire isn’t properly connected. Either one of those signs can put you at risk for a fire.
- If your electrical panel trips often or if it makes a crackling sound, it may be a good time for it to be replaced. Electrical panels tend to trip when you plug in too many appliances into a circuit which requires more power than the circuit can accommodate. The tripping or cutting off power is a safety measure to prevent the wires from overheating. But this could mean that the breaker needs to be replaced and not the whole panel.
- If you need additional wall outlets throughout your home, you may consider upgrading the panel to supply the power you will need to run everything.
- If your appliances aren’t running at full capacity, it may be a result of a faulty electrical panel. The circuits could be overloaded. If that’s not the problem, it may be that the panel is outdated and you need more electricity to handle the current load that your home requires.
- Slight shock or tingling sensation when you touch appliances.
- Sparking or discolored power outlets
- Wires that appear melted.